The Chamber of Commerce continues to unite a team of volunteers to partner with the City of Oxford, Lafayette County, and the University of Mississippi for the Annual LOU 4th of July Community Celebration. This year’s committee was spearheaded by committee chair Meredith Rawl, from local agency Family Crisis Services of Northwest Mississippi, Inc. Family Crisis is a victim service organization providing intervention services to individuals, as well as family support services and prevention education.
The LOU 4th of July committee’s intention is to create a full day of events for the citizen’s of our area to come together and celebrate our community, our military, our veterans and America’s hard-won freedoms.
4th of July Committee
Teresa Adams, Wayne Andrews, Jimmy Algood, Sarah Brooke Bishop, Gail Brown, Alice Camp, Bill DeJournett, Denny Buchannon, Aaron Craig, Thelma Curry, Kelly Graeber, Lea Anne & Kevin Griffin, Dennis Irwin, Ashley Jones, Katie Kaiser, Allen Kurr, Jeff McCutchens, Ethan Peterson, Pam Starling, Alex, Andrew & April Stratton, Pam Swain, Mike Tomes, and Jessica Windham. Would you like to get involved? We are looking for VOLUNTEERS!
2016 Schedule of Events
Friday, July 1st
- 7:30 p.m. Firecracker Bash, presented by Leap Frog
- Venue: The Lyric
- Entertainment by Leap Frog Alumni and Hollywood
- Casual Dress
- Silent Auction
- Mr. and Mrs. America Contest
- Yalobusha Brewery Bottom-less Beer Cups
- Ticket prices: $25, all proceeds benefit Leap Frog
- Tickets may be purchased at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, OUUMC, or at the door
Saturday, July 2nd
- Community Dance, 5-7 p.m.
- New family friendly event at the Community Pavilion (Old Armory) on University Avenue
- Event will follow the Oxford City Market
- Presented by Yoknapatawpha Arts Council (www.oxfordarts.com)
Monday, July 4th (THE BIG DAY)
- 7:30 a.m.: “Stars & Stripes on the Square” 5K Classic to benefit the Oxford Lafayette Humane Society Join our facebook page!
- 8:30 a.m.: Fun Run
- 9:30 a.m.: LOU 4th of July Children’s Parade on the Square, lineup begins at 9 a.m. by Something Southern. Parade registration 2016
- 4 p.m.- Nightfall: Activities in the Grove at Ole Miss – CHILDREN’S ACTIVITIES SPONSORED BY YOUR EXTRA CLOSET
- Activities include: Live Music and Food Vendors Vendor Application
- Children’s Area, featuring: Petting Zoo, Train Rides, Bounce Houses, Face Painting, Balloon Art
- 6:30 p.m.: Independence Day Ceremony in the Grove, a moment to reflect on the occasion and honor our local service men and women
- 6:45 p.m.-8 p.m.: Grove fun continues with regional live music
- 7:30 p.m.: Gates open to the Oxford University Stadium (Swayze Field) for a $2 donation, proceeds going to the 2017 4th of July Celebration. No cooler. Refreshments will be available for purchase. Local films will be shown on the stadium screen prior to fireworks.
- 9 p.m. (Nightfall): Fireworks Presentation over Oxford-University Stadium-Swayze Field. Fireworks sponsored by Olin-Winchester. The show will be 20 minutes. Please take care to note the perimeter is marked for safety.
The LOU 4th of July Committee is presented by the Oxford-Lafayette County Chamber of Commerce.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Want to be involved? The LOU 4th of July Committee is eagerly seeking volunteers to help with the events. To volunteer to help contact committee chair ,